My Shopping List
Fast-off-the-Grill Chorizo Quesadillas
Courtesy of National Pork Board
Prep Time: 20 Min.
Cook Time: 10 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 3/4 lb. bulk pork chorizo
+ 5 (10-in.) flour tortillas
+ 1 can (16 oz.) black bean refried beans + 1/2 lb. colby cheese, grated
+ 1 c. loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
+ olive oil for brushing
+ 11/2 c. store-bought tomatillo salsa
What to do:
1. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Use a spatula to crumble the chorizo as you place it in the pan. Sauté the chorizo until browned and cooked through, about 5 min. Using a slotted spoon, remove the chorizo from the skillet to a plate.
2. Arrange 5 tortillas on a work surface. Spread about 1/4 c. refried beans evenly over half of each tortilla, leaving a 1/2-in. border. Scatter about 1/3 c. cooked chorizo over beans. Scatter a generous 1/3 c. of cheese over top. Divide and arrange cilantro over top of cheese. Fold opposite half of tortilla over the filling. (The quesadillas can be assembled up to 1 hr. before serving. Cover loosely with plastic wrap so they don't dry out, and set aside at room temperature.)
3. Prepare a medium fire in a charcoal grill or preheat a gas grill on medium. Brush outsides of tortillas with a small amount of oil. Using a wide spatula, transfer quesadillas to the grill. Grill on one side for about one min., slide and turn quesadillas 90 degrees, grilling until nice cross-hatch grill marks appear. Slide spatula underneath to flip quesadillas and grill the second side. Transfer the quesadillas to a cutting board. Use a sharp knife or pizza cutter to cut the quesadillas into 5 wedges. Arrange on a platter and serve immediately accompanied with the tomatillo salsa. Serves 8.
* Cook's Note: Look for tomatillo salsa fresh in the refrigerator case or in jars on the shelf in well-stocked supermarkets
* Recipe and photo courtesy of National Pork Board. For more recipes visit: www.PorkBeInspired.com
Calories: 540; Total Fat: 31g; Saturated Fat: 13g; Cholesterol: 70mg; Total Carbs: 40g; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 25g; Sodium: 1100mg;