My Shopping List
Toasted Quinoa and Avocado Salad
Courtesy of California Avocado Commission
Serve With:Servings: 4
Your favorite chilled beverage as a snack or warm tortilla soup as a light dinner.
Prep Time: 30 Min.
Cook Time: 20 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 3/4 oz. canola oil
+ 1 c. quinoa, rinsed
+ 1 c. onion, finely diced
+ 1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
+ 1 tsp. oregano
+ 1 1/4 c. chicken stock
+ 1/2 tsp. salt
+ pepper to taste
+ 1 c. cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
+ 2 c. tomatoes, seeded and diced
+ 2 c. cooked red beans
+ 1/2 c. red onion, small dice, rinsed
+ 1 Tbsp. mint, chopped
+ 1 Tbsp. jalapeño pepper, chopped
+ 2 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
+ 1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
+ 2 c. avocado, 1/2" dice
+ 24 pieces Belgian endive leaves
What to do:
1. Heat the canola oil in a saucepot. Add the quinoa and toast, stirring constantly, until golden brown.
2. Add the onions, garlic, and oregano, and stir until aromatic.
3. Add the stock and bring to a simmer.
4. Add salt and adjust the seasonings with pepper. Cover tightly and cook for 20 minutes, or until tender.
5. Place on a sheet pan to cool. Once cool, place the quinoa in a bowl and fold in the cucumbers, tomatoes, cooked beans, onions, mint, jalapeños, and cilantro.
6. Season with lime. Gently fold in the avocado.
7. Place 1 heaping Tbsp. in an endive leaf.
Calories: 459; Calories From Fat: 39; Total Fat: 20g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 2mg; Total Carbs: 61g; Fiber: 15g; Protein: 13g; Sodium: 620mg;