My Shopping List
Crab and Mushroom Cakes with Chipotle Aioli
Courtesy of Mushroom Council
Prep Time: 30 Min.
Cook Time: 50 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 1-1/3 c. brown rice
+ 1/2 c. Great Northern or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
+ 4 tsp. unsalted butter
+ 1/4 c. finely chopped red onion
+ 1 small jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
+ 1 large portabella mushroom, gills removed and finely chopped
+ 4 oz. cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
+ 4 oz. button mushrooms, finely chopped
+ 1 Tbsp. flour
+ 1 egg, beaten
+ 4 tsp. low fat mayonnaise
+ 3 Tbsp. grated part-skim Mozzarella cheese
+ 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
+ 2 tsp. chopped fresh cilantro
+ 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
+ 1/2 tsp. sea salt
+ 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper (divided)
+ 6-oz. refrigerated crabmeat, cleaned and chopped
+ 2 scallions, thinly sliced
+ 4 oz. shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and thinly sliced
+ 2/3 c. panko bread crumbs
+ 1/4 c. vegetable oil
+ Chipotle Aioli, (See Below)
What to do:
1. Bring 2 c. of water to boil in a large saucepan. Add rice, turn heat down and simmer 30-40 min. Drain any excess liquid.
2. Meanwhile, place drained beans in a large bowl. mash thoroughly using the back of a fork or potato masher. Set bowl aside. Heat butter in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. When melted, add onion and jalapeno. Cook 3-4 min., stirring often. Add portabella, cremini and button mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until mushrooms are almost dry. Stir in flour and cook 2 more min. Remove from heat and, when cooled to room temperature, fold mixture into the mashed beans.
3. Stir egg, mayonnaise, warm cooked rice, cheese, lemon juice, cilantro and cayenne into mashed beans. Fold in shiitake mushrooms, crab and scallions (the mixture will be sticky).
4. Portion into 24 mounds by packing mixture into 1/4 c. measure or small ice cream scoop, arranging in a single layer on a baking sheet. Use a flat-bottomed mug or large glass to flatten each mound into a 2-3-in. patty. Sprinkle with half of the panko crumbs, pressing in lightly. Use a spatula to carefully turn each patty. Sprinkle with remaining panko.
5. Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a non-stick 10-in. skillet until hot over medium heat. Working in batches, cook patties 5-8 min. or until well browned on both sides, adding oil as needed. Keep warm until ready to serve.
* 1/3 c. mayonnaise
* 1 chipotles chile in adobo sauce (from a 7.5-oz. can), seeded and minced
* 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
* 1 tsp. seafood seasoning, such as Old Bay
* 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
Place all aioli ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
Recipe and photos courtesy of the Mushroom Council and mushroominfo.com
Calories: 324; Total Fat: 12g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 54mg; Total Carbs: 43g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 12g; Sodium: 483mg;