My Shopping List
Ancho-Spiced Beef Stew
Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff
Prep Time: 20 Min.
Cook Time: 2-1/4 Hr.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 2 lb. beef chuck shoulder pot roast, cut into 1-in. pieces
+ 2 ancho chiles (dried chiles)
+ 1 c. boiling water
+ 3 Tbsp. cornmeal
+ 1/2 tsp. salt
+ 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
+ 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
+ 2 cans (14-1/2 oz. ea.) spicy diced tomatoes
+ 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 3/4-in. pieces
+ toppings: chopped red onion, chopped fresh cilantro, sour cream, lime wedges (optional)
What to do:
1. Remove and discard stems and seeds from chiles. Pour boiling water over chiles in medium bowl; let stand 20 min. or until chiles are
softened. Drain chilies, reserving 1/2 c. of liquid. Place chiles, reserved 1/2 c. liquid, cornmeal and 1/2 tsp. salt in food processor container. Cover; process until smooth. Set aside.
2. Coat beef with cumin. Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown half of beef; remove from stockpot. Repeat with remaining oil and beef. Pour off drippings; return beef to stockpot. Add tomatoes and ancho chile mixture to stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-3/4 hr.
3. Add sweet potatoes to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and continue cooking 25 to 30 min. or until sweet potatoes and beef are fork-tender, stirring once.
4. Serve stew with Toppings, as desired.
* Cook's Tip: Two cans diced chili-style tomatoes may be substituted for spicy tomatoes.
* Recipe Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
Calories: 286; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 57mg; Total Carbs: 20g; Fiber: 4g; Protein: 26g; Sodium: 549mg;